- Mitt Romney is a supporter of school vouchers, charter schools, home schooling, and reducing the federal government’s role in Education.
- As governor, Romney pushed to eliminate the government-mandated cap on the number of charter schools
- Gov. Romney successfully vetoed a moratorium on the opening of new charter schools, passed by the Massachusetts Legislature in 2004.
- In his 1994 senatorial campaign, Romney called for abolishing the federal Department of Education, and was endorsed by the libertarian Republican Liberty Caucus.
- In his 2002 gubernatorial campaign, Romney called for the privatization of the University of Massachusetts medical school.